New Star Software Forum Index New Star Software
Discussions regarding the future StarShip Tracker (SST) and the New Star Universe.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discuss: "New Spam-Fighting Technique Criticized"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Star Software Forum Index -> Open Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Discuss: "New Spam-Fighting Technique Criticized" Reply with quote

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050721/D8BFFPV00.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyu Kage
NSS Moderator
NSS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm, interesting idea. The following might be a nice Acronym, rather than the one they've got.

AuS DeS

Automated Spam Defense System
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Not quite where I expected the convo to go, but in reply to KK, I submit this: my colleague from Yokosuka and I came to this new command together and have pretty much partnered up on anything. Our sense of humor are in-synch, mine sarcastic or innocent, his dry. Best example of his:

He wants to develop a new manner of tracking people as they qualify for a position. Currently, the Navy employs the Job Qualification Requirements (JQR). My friend's idea is a serious one, but trys to replace the system of seeking hundreds of signatures for hundreds of line-items to a computer-based system where multiple answers or blanks need to be filled. If you know the answer, you answer it. Otherwise, you follow links or a customiced Point-of-contact list at that command for the needed education. Having it computerized allows for easier updating and saves time from tracking bogus info 'sources,' plus saves the problems from having sign-offs provided willy-nilly or in exchange for deals. Anyway, instead of the Navy's JQR process, he calls it the Digital Interactive Qualification System. And he's presented this idea (again, a very serious idea) several times to our new colleagues under that name.

Hint: acronyms are often spoken by letter...or phonetically.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kyu Kage
NSS Moderator
NSS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Hint: acronyms are often spoken by letter...or phonetically.

But would it have been as funny if it was done properly?

Still, nice article.
Medron Pryde
Betatester
Betatester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks very interesting...I may have to join....

"Our thoughts form the universe. They are always important." R.I.P.
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Medron weighs in as 'for.' Anyone agree that this may be wrong?
Longwalker
Administrator & Betatester
Administrator & Betatester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm joining.

I am tired of my daughter seeing ads to get rock hard erections and naked girls and free mortgages in my email box. Those are just the subject lines.

Did I offend you?

Get over it!
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Russians (actually Soviets) allegedly used to send terror suspects body parts of family members, indicating that the terrorist's family would be the ones to suffer.

While the moral person in me says that this is wrong, I liked the Soviet response on a visceral level. That's how I feel about this (complaint attacks). On one hand, we are the Good Guys and our morals should be something that guide us (even tho they make the fight harder) and we shouldn't engage in the same types of attacks that we despise. On the other hand...I wanna crush the mofos.

I joined that Lycos program that was out there for a few weeks. Granted, I saw nothing that I did that contributed to the DOS attacks, but knowing that I did have ahand was satisfying.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Star Software Forum Index -> Open Discussions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: