New Star Software Forum Index New Star Software
Discussions regarding the future StarShip Tracker (SST) and the New Star Universe.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JT Investigations: Case 3 - Mr White Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Star Software Forum Index -> JT Investigations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimmy the Tulip
Administrator & Lead Betatester

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: JT Investigations: Case 3 - Mr White Death Reply with quote

Arrival
New Star
01/03/05

The body lay on a bed in the quarantine area of the Starport. The city of Arrival was home to the busiest Starport on New Star which made hiding this body from prying eyes exceptionally difficult when transporting it between the Monarch DropShip and the medical bay.

I finished donning my hazmat protection suit and triple checked that the filter mask was securely in place before I opened the airtight doors to the quarantine area. Stepping from the airlock I approached the bed. The room had an eerie silence about it. The only other occupant in the room was the figure standing beside the bed similarly garbed for protection as I was. The figure turned as I entered and I nodded a silent greeting to Detective Snr Sergeant Jacob “Mac” MacWilliams as I joined him beside the victim.

“What’ve ya got, Mac?” I enquired as I drew up beside him.

“To be honest, Jimmy, I dunno what I’ve got. I’ve never seen anything like it before. What do you make of this?”

Mac slowly, almost reluctantly, pulled back the sheet that was covering the corpse. The body lay cold and lifeless, it’s eyes open and staring vacantly at the ceiling. It’s mouth was open as if in a final, silent scream. The medical attendants had removed the dead mans clothing to reveal a fine white crystalline substance covering his entire body. Whatever it was it had invaded his nasal passages and mouth and, presumably, his throat. Cause of death had been sudden, traumatic asphyxiation as his throat and lungs solidified under a coating of the crystals.

“My God, Mac! What the hell happened to this guy?” I asked in stunned disbelief.

Mac lowered the sheet, reshrouding the corpse. “Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe he came into contact with some substance, bio-chemical or organic. Who knows, I’m no scientist. All I know is, if this is some kind of disease or virus it could wreak havoc here on New Star.”

My PI instincts started to kick in after recovering from the shock of seeing the body. “Who was this guy? Was he a passenger or part of the Monarch’s crew?”

Mac moved to the end of the bed and picked up a clipboard with the mans details on it. “He was one Nicholas Edmunds, not married, no kids, average job. He has an apartment here in Arrival and was returning from visiting his parents on Point Barrow. Economy class passage on the Monarch Class DropShip “Norma Jean” via the Merchant JumpShip “Star Dreamer”. No priors, not even a parking fine. This guy was Joe Average who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.”

I hastily made notes of the details I intended to check out. “Thanks, Mac. I’ll check some of these things out for you, if you’d like. I’ll get a passenger list for us to work through too.”

“Yeah, thanks Jimmy. My boys have started interviewing the DropShip crew. The JumpShip crew are next, they should make planet fall in another day and a half.” Mac replaced the clipboard and we started moving back towards the airlock.

Stepping once again through the doorway and into the robing room, I removed my mask upon hearing the doors seal. “Mac, officially I’m working for Arrival Starport Ltd but this thing could affect everyone in Arrival. Since this is your domain after the promotion I’ll let you know if I find anything out about what it is we’re dealing with.”

“Thanks, Jimmy. I’d appreciate it.”

Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My checks on the passenger list came up blank. It took a full day to check everyone out but in the end it was a fruitless search. I’d also had some people going through the DropShips cargo manifest but that was clean too. Everything had been thoroughly checked and cleared through customs at both Point Barrow and at Arrival, though the cargo was currently sitting in Arrival quarantine until this mystery was resolved.

My mobile phone, which sat on the desk beside me, rang shrilly. It was Mac. “Hey, Mac. What do you know?”

“We got another body, Jimmy.”

I gasped. “But the passengers and crew had all been checked! They were in perfect health!”

Mac hesitated slightly before he answered me. “It’s not one of them, Jimmy. It’s Douglas, one of my guys.”

I sat, shocked, as the news sank in. A cop was dead now and the infection, or whatever it was, seemed to be spreading. “How, Mac? What was he doing?”

“He was in the cargo hold checking a few crates that stayed on board for the next stop. There’s something in there that’s killing people. I’ve ordered the whole ship off limits until we get a scanalyser crew in. They’ll check for any airborne anomalies. Once the Norma Jeans been checked out I’m going on board and I want you to come with me.”

“Me?” Fear gripped me for a moment. “Why me, Mac? You’ve got a team of PD boys there. Why not them?”

“Jimmy, we’ve worked together long enough for me to know that you’ve got the skills and the senses I need for this job. At the moment I don’t want anyone else beside me.”

“Ok, Mac” I sighed. “I can be there in about forty minutes.”

38 minutes later I walked briskly into the departure lounge. Mac was waiting for me at the entrance to the boarding tunnel that link the lounge to the massive form of the Monarch DropShip outside. To either side of the tunnel was an armed guards preventing anyone without proper authorisation from boarding the craft.

Mac nodded in greeting at my approach. “The scanalyser showed no impurities so we’re clear to go in. It also means that whatever were looking for is probably picked up by touch and will be found in the hold. You ready?”

I grunted in confirmation. In all honesty I wasn’t exactly relishing going into the ship. Whatever was lingering in there had killed two people and was still of unknown origin. Hopefully the lab boys would make some kind of breakthrough soon as to what it was that killed the two men.

The Norma Jean was an impressive ship. Having never been on board anything as luxurious as a Monarch I was awestruck by the lavish accoutrements onboard. Hurrying to keep up with Mac I could only catch fleeting glimpses of my surroundings. We swiftly moved down the passageways into the crew section and to the elevator that led to the hold of the ship. The descent of four floors took only a few seconds and before I knew it we were standing on the floor of the ships hold. Loading crates and various other pieces of cargo rose like a miniature city block from the metal floor plates. Parked in a special holding bay a few meters away was a car. Not just any car either but a classic. It was a 2172 Mercedes II Diamond series. It was still considered one of the finest hovercars ever made.

A small flicker of movement caught my attention by the front left corner of the car. I moved off to investigate and Mac followed close behind me. The movement had stopped but whatever it was still lingered close against the vehicle. It was smallish, about the size of a small cat, but nestled within the shadows I couldn’t make out what it was. I pointed the dark shape out to Mac who whispered to me to be very careful.

We approached the car cautiously. I had nothing to defend myself with so instead took off my coat to use as a makeshift shield. Just as we started to get close the thing moved with lightening speed. It scuttled across the floor towards us, light reflecting off it’s large carapace and in the light it revealed itself to us. If the eight legs and pincers didn’t give it away then the stinger certainly did. It was a scorpion, but a freakishly huge one. It was a mottled brown colour with a triangular white patch on it’s back. I was about to throw my coat over the thing when it pounced, leaping straight for my face.

Bowtie Bob
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm......interesting...... Very Happy
Stock Fund - Let us earn Credits for you!
Longwalker
Administrator & Betatester

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the scorpion thing, sounds a lot like the dreamcatcher movie/book.

Did I offend you?

Get over it!
Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longwalker wrote:
Except for the scorpion thing, sounds a lot like the dreamcatcher movie/book.

I haven't seen or read that. Is it a good movie?

Longwalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never read it.

It was OK. Really really slow to start with. First half was like watching stand by me. Second half was OK. Worth renting if you are bored.

The best thing about it was the aliens after infecting you, came out your ass - of course with blood everywhere. Most humorous.

Did I offend you?

Get over it!
Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Humorous?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Medron Pryde
Betatester
Betatester

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more like icky....

"Our thoughts form the universe. They are always important." R.I.P.
Longwalker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
:shock:

Humorous?

Have you ever seen an alien come out someone's butt?

I think it was most funny.

Did I offend you?

Get over it!
Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longwalker wrote:
Never read it.

It was OK. Really really slow to start with. First half was like watching stand by me. Second half was OK. Worth renting if you are bored.

The best thing about it was the aliens after infecting you, came out your ass - of course with blood everywhere. Most humorous.

I asked the guy at my video store about it as it has just been released here on DVD. He said it was ok until later on with the alien out butt thing. Sounds like a hoot!

Reminds me of one of Peter Jacksons first movies called Bad Taste. One scene involves a crazed person chainsawing his way through an alien - in through the head an out it's butt. That was funny!

Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 3

Before it struck I felt something crash into me, throwing me to the side. I sprawled to the floor and, twisting my head around, saw Mac lying motionless where moments before I had stood. The scorpion was scuttling back into the shadows, presumably scared off by the sudden motion. Trying to keep an eye on the creature I crawled over to Mac and, to my horror, saw a sting on his arm and a small ring of fine white crystals forming around it. It was slowly spreading as I watched so, wasting no time, I dragged Mac over to the elevator and ascended back to the entry level. Once there I continued to drag Mac towards the ships exit, all the time calling out for help. Two officers ran down the passage and took Mac from me carrying him and running back towards the departure lounge and the medical bay.

I ran beside them, recounting what happened and telling them of the scorpion sting to Mac’s arm. One of the guards radioed ahead to demand that a cryo-chamber be prepared for Mac. Cryo-chambers were used when time was limited for a patient. Once activated they suspended a patient, almost frozen, thereby slowing down the bodies functions including pulse and circulation. It might just buy Mac enough time to find an antidote for the scorpions poison.

Meanwhile the police contacted Starport security for a “disposal” unit. Every Starport had it’s own security team that, in Arrivals case, included a squad of 4 light battlearmour suits. In moments two of the security personal turned up at the boarding tunnel to the Norma Jean suited up. They had orders to capture the cargo hold intruder intact so that a poison sample could be extracted and a serum formulated. Mac’s condition was getting worse but thanks to the cryo-chamber the poison had been slowed.

Within twenty minutes the scorpion had been caught though on a follow up sweep of the hold the security personnel found something slightly more gruesome. In the trunk of the Mercedes hovercar was a body. The patch on his arm betrayed his origins, Clan Goliath Scorpion, and he had been killed by a single gunshot to the head. We were now looking for a murderer.

Greys Shadow
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm. Coloring doesn't match a normal goliath scorpion, nor does the effect of the venom match. Genetically altered species?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greys Shadow wrote:
Hmmmmm. Coloring doesn't match a normal goliath scorpion, nor does the effect of the venom match. Genetically altered species?

Wink You could pass as a PI, Grey...

Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 4

The news reached me while I sat in a makeshift office provided by spaceport security. Mac was gone. The cryo-chamber, while it slowed the poison in his system, did nothing to counteract it. It had taken hold and never let go and now my closest friend was gone. My sadness and pain at this loss competed equally with my anger at the perpetrators of this crime. I had to catch these butchers but my mind was locked in grief.

In the quarantine lounge all the passengers of the Norma Jean sat impatiently. A small security detail stood near the door, each one with a personal communicator and a stun phaser just in case there was any trouble. One of the communicators suddenly beeped and the guard flipped it open.

“Rogers here”, he said into the small black box then he listened for a moment to the receiver at this ear. His face grew steadily paler as he listened.

“Alright”, Rogers said. “I’ll put you on loudspeaker.” He pressed a button on his communicator.

A voice spoke clearly to everyone present, “I am General Freidriksen of the Terran Empire Reformation Movement. We have agents at key points throughout this spaceport and will release a deadly nerve toxin into the air conditioning system at the first sign of aggression by the local authorities. Do you understand?”

The pale and now very nervous guard spoke, “Yes, we understand.”

“Good”, the General continued. “You will release two passengers from the quarantine lounge, Doctor Karn and Captain Azmuth, and allow them safe passage back to the Norma Jean. The DropShip will then be allowed to lift immediately to the Star Dreamer and allowed to dock at which time the JumpShip will leave this system. If you do not interfere then no one will die. The communicator that this guard holds will be given to one of these passengers to ensure that we know of their safe arrival at the Star Dreamer. If you understand the instructions say so now and the passengers will then take the comm unit and leave.”

The guard took a deep breath before replying. “I understand the instructions and we will not give you any cause to kill these innocent people.”

Two men then stood and made their way toward the guard. All eyes were watching them.

The General spoke again. “Doctor, Captain, I am pleased to offer the assistance of T.E.R.M. Travel well.”

One of the men took the communicator and spoke into it. “Thank you, Sir. We will see you in better times. We will maintain radio silence until we either reach the DropShip or encounter trouble.”

There was an urgent rap on the door of my office and a junior guard, one of those watching the boarding ramp, burst in with a communicator in his hand.

“Mr Temerity”, the guard blurted. “You need to hear this!”

We listened to the parlay that took place on the open comm channel. Realising that my chance to nail these butchers was within reach snapped my mind out of its grief stricken stupor.

“Well done, er…?” I paused.

“Perkins, Sir. Corporal Perkins.”

“Well done, Perkins. I’ll se you get the recognition for this when I get back.”

“Get back, Sir?” Perkins queried.

“Yeah, I’ve got some murderers to catch.” I rose from my desk with a new-found determination.

“But the threats, the passengers…”

“Don’t worry, Perkins. No one in this spaceport will be hurt. No one that doesn’t deserve it, anyway. Get everyone into the quarantine lounge as quickly as you can. Don’t miss a single person. They’re all counting on you Perkins, and so am I.” With that I dashed out of the office.

Medron Pryde
Betatester
Betatester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.....get them into the isolation chamber so he can seal it and keep the bad stuff out?

Wink

Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 5

DropShip Norma Jean
Arrival Spaceport
New Star
01/03/05

Captain Azmuth sealed the Monarchs airlock doors and turned to Doctor Karn. “Well Elias, it looks like we may be in the clear.”

Elias Karn, Doctor of Biology and Genetic Sciences didn’t look at all relieved. “Hmmm, tell me that again when we are safely on board the Star Dreamer and recharging in another system. I do feel a lot more relaxed without that damn Clanner of yours hovering around.”

Azmuth frowned. “Don’t underestimate the uses of a bondsman, Elias, especially the Scorpions. I’m regretting having to kill him.”

“Bah! He was a liability and not to be trusted after he found out how I had….tampered with his pet. Good riddance to bad rubbish, I say.”

The expression on Azmuths face showed his annoyance at the way the conversation was going so, instead of replying, he chose to make his way to the bridge where three other men were waiting.

“And you would be Freidriksens men, I presume. I hope you know how to fly this crate?”

One of the men looked at Azmuth in contempt. “And I hope you know how to show proper respect to the people who are about to save your worthless skins. Take a seat and strap in and try not to open your mouth unless you have to.”

The three crewmen went about preparing the Norma Jean for lift off.

From the storage locker at the rear of the bridge I over-heard the entire conversation. It seemed like my que for getting of this ship was about to come. Through the crack in the partly opened locker door I watched as the crew and the passengers strapped themselves into their seats. They all had their backs to me. If there was ever a chance this was it. Fortunately I’d just had enough time to complete what I wanted to do before Freidriksens crew had arrived.

Letting out a quiet sigh to settle my nerves I slow eased open the door of the locker and stepped out onto the floor of the bridge. I started creeping across the floor to the open bridge door when the ship lurched as the brakes were released. I retained my balance but the locker door behind me swung shut with a clang. Suddenly all eyes were on me and I quickly decided that discretion was the better part of valour. I ran.

Behind me Captain Azmuth released his safety harness in one fluid motion. “Get us the hell out of here”, he barked to the flight crew before pursuing me down the corridor.

The problem I had was that, on this ship, I didn’t know where to go except to the cargo hold. Azmuth was behind me but I didn’t know how far and didn’t want to take my eyes off where I was going for fear of stumbling. I decided that I would just have to risk it and made for the elevator that led to the hold. If I made it that would buy me some time as the other service elevator was at the aft of the ship near the engineering section.

I increased my pace, flying down corridors and around corners. All the time I could hear the pounding of my pursuers’ boots behind me. To me he sounded distant enough that I might actually make it. Turning a final corner the elevator door came in sight. I couldn’t believe my luck. It was open. With a last burst of speed I ran through the door and slammed my hand on the ‘down’ button.

I waited.

It seemed like an eternity and all the while my pursuit grew closer. Then I saw him round that last corner. He saw me standing there gawping at him and just as he started his last dash for the lift the doors began to close. It was going to be close. Unfortunately it would not be close enough.

Azmuth took one final leap at the diminishing gap and just managed to between the doors as the thudded shut. To my good fortune he caught one of the doors with a boot on the way through so was off balance when he landed. He crashed in a heap against the rear wall of the lift.

When trapped in a lift with an angry military man intent on killing you the one thing that you really wish you had was some kind of fighting experience. I had none. What I did have though was the stun phaser that I swiped off Perkins on my way out of the office. Before he could recover I pointed the weapon at Azmuth and depressed the firing stud. The phaser whined for a second and Azmuth slumped, unconscious, to the ground. A second later the lift doors opened and, though the immediate danger was passed, I ran through the hold to the gigantic rear loading ramp. A quick search revealed the control panel and I pressed the button to open the ramp.

Natural light flooded into the dimly lit hold at the loading ramp descended. Beyond it the runway flew past at what appeared to be an incredible speed. It dawned on me that while I ran the ship had been moving to the runway and accelerating.

I couldn’t jump. My instinct for self-preservation overrode that desire. There was only one other thing for it. I turned and ran back into the hold all the while my eyes locked on the gleaming 2172 Mercedes II Diamond. I looked through the drivers window and saw the keys sitting in the ignition. That wasn’t unusual for vehicles in cargo transport so as to make it easier for the cargo handlers to unload it.

Just as I opened the door I heard a shoe scuff behind me. I turned, startled, to see a very upset Captain Azmuth lashing out with a fist. Thanks to my movement he only caught me a glancing blow to the side of the head but it was enough to rock me back, slightly dazed. I reached for my phaser and raised it up but Azmuth was a close combat fighter. A boot shot upwards, slamming into my wrist and sending the phaser flying into the depths of the hold.

Pain lanced through my arm but I forced myself to ignore it and send a fumbling hook towards Azmuth with my other arm. He easily dodged the blow and replied with a thunderous side punch to my ribs. I gasped with the agony as I heard a rib crack. I knew I couldn’t stand up to this much longer so throwing caution to the wind I charged into Azmuth ad both of us fell to the ground in a mess of flailing limbs. Luck was still on my side. Azmuth must still have been groggy from the earlier phaser shot and I recovered first. I managed to land a decent punch to his chin before I disentangled myself and ran for the car.

I practically fell into the drivers seat, slamming the door behind me and engaging the central locking. Fumbling at the keys, I started the car and gunned the engine as it rose on it’s cushion of air. The window beside me burst inwards with a shower of shattered glass and Azmuth reached an arm in, locking it around my neck with the aid of the headrest. All I could think of was flight. It was either that or death.

Throwing the Mercedes into gear I flew out into the cargo aisle dragging Azmuth with me. I slammed down the accelerator and raced towards the loading ramp. As I looked out the world beyond the ramp seemed to tilt. With horror I realised that the mighty DropShip was lifting into the air. The Mercedes was too close to the exit for me to stop in time and to do so would only mean death at the hands of Captain Azmuth. It was with a quiet prayer and tightly shut eyes that I was carried out the loading door into the nothingness beyond.

Last edited by Jimmy the Tulip on Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Bowtie Bob
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooohhh......suspenseful.....Very Happy
Medron Pryde
Betatester
Betatester

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that POOR car when it hits the runway.....

Embarassed

Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part 6

The car seemed to glide through the air for an eternity. I could hear a loud noise over the whistling of the wind through the shattered window and I realised it was someone yelling in terror. It sounded strange, almost like two voices overlapping. Of course! Azmuth was still hanging from the window where he had tried to throttle me that’s where the yelling was coming from, well that was one of the voices. I realised with a start that the other voice was mine. I clamped my mouth shut and opened my eyes. That was my first mistake. I started yelling again as I saw the ground rushing up to meet us.

We hit at about a 40 degree angle. The nose of the antique, irreplaceable hover car smashed into the tarmac to the accompaniment of rending metal Blood sprayed across the inside of the windscreen just as the safety airbag deployed preventing me from smashing my face into the steering wheel. The car hang there for a second before gravity took hold and smashed the elevated rear section down to the ground. I was stunned, battered, bruised and winded but I was alive. I would learn later that my flight from the DropShip was all of seven meters but it was still testimony to the safety of Mercedes vehicles that I wasn’t badly injured. Then I remembered the blood.

I did a quick examination of myself for major injuries. There were a few minor cuts and scratches but nothing to cause the amount of blood that had sprayed across the windscreen. I gingerly pushed the airbag aside and saw the dismembered arm lying across the top of the dashboard against the windscreen. I knew I still had both my arms so there was only one other possibility. Azmuth. I forced the door open and stepped onto the tarmac. Azmuths body lay, bloody and mangled, several meters away. Minus one arm.

The sound of wailing sirens drifted across the grounds and, looking up, I saw two police cars swiftly approaching. I started slowly walking towards them and as they drew closer they pulled to stop. Two officers alighted from each car. Two headed towards the ruined body lying on the runway and the remaining two walked toward me. I smiled as I recognised Perkins.

“It’s good to see you again, officer.” I shook Perkins hand and winced with the pain that shot through my wrist from the kick I took.

Perkins returned the smile. “Let’s get you checked up and, on the way, I can fill you in on what’s been happening.”

It seems that Perkins had managed to contact the authorities after he had secured all the spaceport personnel and passengers. An impromptu briefing quickly tipped them off to the most likely locations of the terrorist group and in a swift and decisive gun fight General Freidriksen was captured along with two of his men. Two other terrorists were killed along with one of the armed response unit members. The terrorists had released the gas into the ventilation system but thanks to Perkins getting everyone into the self contained quarantine unit there were no casualties. A clean-up crew had closed the spaceport and was in the process of cleaning up.

We arrived behind the police cordon and, as we exited the car, Perkins turned to me. “My one regret is that the guys on the DropShip got away.”

I gave him a wry smile. “Maybe. One good thing that not many people know about those big passenger craft is that they have a silent tracking system built in. It’s a safety feature that was added because of the amount of hijackings that happened on them. Luxurious ships equal rich passengers. Rich passengers equal greedy hijackers. I was lucky enough to have time to activate the system before the others got to the bridge.”

Perkins looked impressed. “How do you know these things?” he asked in an exasperated voice.

I winked slyly. “Now, you don’t expect me to give away all my secrets do you?” I started walking toward the people in charge. “Now let’s get that Monarchs transponder signal to these guys before they get too far away.”

Shatner Memorial Cemetery
Arrival
New Star
01/03/07

I knelt before the headstone for a respectful minutes silence. A warm wind blew gently across the graves and rustled the leaves in the large elms that grew nearby.

“I’m sorry, Mac.” I said almost in a whisper. “I wish I could have done more. I wish that scorpion had got me instead of you. This city needs more cops like you. I need more friends like you. At least we got them, Mac. We got those bastards that did that to you. They led us all the way to Solaris before we finally caught them. Thanks to the Marines we broke the whole Solarian cell. I’m sorry you couldn’t be there to see it.”

I rocked back on my heels and stood up slowly. Looking up to the blue sky and thinking of all the great times I’d shared with Mac. The sun warmed my face and chased away the shadow of grief that had been hanging around me since Mac’s funeral.

Looking back down at the tombstone I read the inscription once more and smiled. “I was the Dreamer, they the Dream”. Mac certainly was a dreamer. His dream was to make New Star a safe place, a good place. I would honour Macs memory by carry on his dream. My mind turned to Perkins and his recent award for his actions. A smile crossed my face once again as I realised that, perhaps, I wouldn’t have to carry on the dream alone.

Hope I didn't end this too suddenly. I'm working on four different stories at the moment including one script for a story that a friend and I are going to put on TV (there is a channel over here that will take almost anything from the public if you've got the $300-400 to televise it). All of that writing means that I kinda had to put this to rest pretty quick despite the fact that it's only small (I didn't want to leave it hanging). Anyway, That's it for this case. Stay tuned for more JTI adventures coming soon!

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shatner Memorial Cemetary? Confused

As for the TV thing...wowsers.

Are you going to film it, perform it on stage...?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Medron Pryde
Betatester
Betatester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like...and hope the TV goes well...

Bowtie Bob
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Jimmy Wink
Jimmy the Tulip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Shatner Memorial Cemetary? Confused

Well, I figured that with the New Star timeline set in the far future he probably wouldn't still be acting. Wink

Dan wrote:
As for the TV thing...wowsers.

Are you going to film it, perform it on stage...?

It's going to be filmed on DV tape and then probably burned onto DVD later. For us that is, not for sale. It's going to be one story in a six episode serial of NZ amateur short films that my friend and I have written over the years. I'm also going to act in it and, hopefully, direct it. Once I've finished it I might post the script up here.

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy the Tulip wrote:
...he probably wouldn't still be acting. Wink

/biting back comment.

Quote:
I'm also going to act in it and, hopefully, direct it. Once I've finished it I might post the script up here.

Yes, please do. Let us know as it develops.
Medron Pryde
Betatester
Betatester

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was the comment possibly something to do with the idea that he doesn't act NOW?

Very Happy

Dan
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[gesturing emphatically]

I...don't...know....what...you...mean.

[Delivers two simultaneous karate chops to either side of your head]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    New Star Software Forum Index -> JT Investigations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: